Sunday, March 6, 2011

Drum roll please...

The next x 17 bit

Good news at last!  A full seven day week since my blood started boiling, my temperature has returned to normal.  Unfortunately though, it seems the white coats were not too happy with the pictures they took of my chest, and they have grounded me.  I don't know why. I really did try and smile.  I remember dad telling me a story about when he was little and got into trouble with his Grandad for pulling a silly face during a big family photograph. Seems typical of my dad to be clowning around like that. I think my big sister has picked up on his traits, but I am still an angel.  Interestingly enough, apparently dad's Grandad went to sleep with Leukaemia. I wonder what type he had.


One of the blue uniforms was kind enough to tell me that my grounding has nothing to do with not smiling for the picture, but that I may have yet another infection, in my chest, which could be contagious. So for that reason, I am not allowed to cruise with my friends in the corridors.  The timing couldn't be worse as I am just starting to feel more like my old self.  Although I still can't eat much and get sick every time I have too much upside down bottle.  In fact, come to think of it, I feel a lot worse when the blue or red and white uniforms squirt a type of muti into my nose tube which goes into my tummy.  It must be really yukkie stuff to make me want to get sick even though I did not have to swallow it.

One of the white coats came in to my room today and had a chat.  It turns out that besides the new chest infection, I am actually doing really well now.  My blood levels have all come up in the last day.  In fact, she was so happy with me, that I may even get to go home soon. Of course I was sitting pretending not to take any notice of the conversation by playing with my very cool PeppaPig stickers in my cot. I think she was trying to "dress up" the good news a bit. Good news indeed about going home, but she then went on to say that it would only be for a day or two.  After that, I would be back at the hotel and the bee keeping uniforms would be back at me! 

Still, I could really do with a night or two in my own cot, playing with my big sister, turning the music up really loud and dancing with my dad and his two left feet, and sharing mum's breakfast in bed, making sure I get the peanut butter smeared all over the fresh linen and place a few crumbs lovingly under dad's pillow. Oh, and my cats!  How I have missed chasing them around the house, tackling them and lying on top of them to hear them purr for me or transferring their food from the bowl to the water bowl. 

I am not going to get ahead of myself though.  I know the staff have a reputation for changing their minds a few times a minute.  A bit like going shoe shopping with mum. I still have a few more days of my various antibiotics to go, but you can be sure I will let you know if and when I do get a home pass.

The next x 18 bit

So besides the exciting news about having a holiday at home, today I was allowed to go for a ride outside in my pram.  Yes, outside. The real outside. Not just to another wing in the hotel. The wild outside!  I think the staff could see that I was not handling being grounded in my hotel room too well.  Especially that I have been feeling more of myself! So they gave the all clear for a stroll outside.  There were of course some basic instructions.  Avoid lots of people. That was not a problem today though. Being a Sunday, the streets here were pretty empty and I got to explore the local inner city parks and feel the fresh, almost spring, air on my cheeks.  

Being inner city London,  it really is pretty wild.  Just ask the three young boys who thought it would be clever to steal some things off the tables of a little Italian restaurant. Unlucky for them, my dad was walking behind them.  Needless to say, I don't think they will be stealing from there again. 

Here is a little pic of me snuggled up nice and warm at Caram's Park.




2 comments:

  1. I am missing you lots and lots. Singing every night and praying for you...
    Lovely clothes coming your way from Grant, Vanessa, Karabo, Samora, Thato, Granny Sarah and Sally.
    Thinking about you.
    love Kayla
    (Mum typing because she needs me to get to sleep! Had hair washing night and am ready for a new week. Perhaps I will get to play with you soon in the LION playroom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charley-Rose
    You seem to be doing so well - lovely to see!
    Tell you Mum and Dad that if they go to www.ocado.com, they have a special offer on PeppaPig face cloth and toothbrush set.... I think you deserve one of those!
    Lots of Love
    Felicity Dreyer (Cape Town. P.S. My mum is a friend of your Granny's.)

    ReplyDelete